Parts of St Giles’ Church date from Saxon times whilst much of the chancel and tower are Norman. The building has been added to and developed over the years. There is a Tudor side chapel which was integrated with the rest of the church by the Victorians. We continue in this tradition and a new corridor and toilets were added in recent years.
The church has historic links with the poet Thomas Gray (1716–1771), who wrote his ‘Elegy written in a Country Churchyard’ whilst visiting his aunt who lived in the village. He is buried in the churchyard. Another memorial to Gray stands in the adjacent meadow owned by the National Trust. We have regular events to celebrate our heritage and enjoy this beautiful places.
St Giles’ has been at the centre of village life for many years and continues to be the place of focus for special events, such as Christmas, Easter and Harvest.
The church is open every day during daylight hours. Feel free to pop in.
St Giles Tour
If you’d like to become involved in any aspect of the life of our churches please visit the Volunteers pages of the website.
View St Giles Church, Stoke Poges in a larger map