Getting Married at St Giles
The Church of England provides for couples to get married within their Parish of residence or at the Parish where they are regular worshipping members.
It is also possible for couples to marry in a church which has special significance to them, even though they live elsewhere.
An engaged couple are able to be married in the church if one of the following applies:-
- One of you has been baptised or prepared for confirmation in the parish
- One of you has lived in the parish for six months or more
- One of you has at any time regularly attended public worship in the parish for six months or more
- One of your parents has lived in the parish for six months or more within your lifetime
- One of your parents has regularly attended public worship here for six months or more in your lifetime
- Your parents or grandparents were married in the church
During the period leading up to your wedding we will expect to you to regularly attend one of the services we hold at either St. Giles’ or
St. Andrew’s. This gives us a time to get to know you and enables you to experience something of the life of the Church in which you wish to marry.
If there has been a previous marriage that has ended in divorce then our policy in Stoke Poges is that we are unable to re-marry you in Church. However, we seek to encourage and support all those entering married life and are able to offer a Service of Celebration and Blessing after a Civil Ceremony.
If you would like any further information on the above or to book at wedding at St. Giles’ please contact Kate Holliday at the church office.